Then I saw the table of contents posted over at SF Signal.
I remember the debate last year regarding the lack of female names on the cover Eclipse One (despite women making up nearly half of the anthology). The debate is summed up here and is wrapped up in regards to a panel at Wiscon.
The table of contents is nearly final, with one left to be determined, but here is the list courtesy of Strahan's website.
Now, I'm willing to accept that I may be missing androgynous names here, but I checked and Terry Dowling is male.
- The Hero, Karl Schroeder
- Turing’s Apples, Stephen Baxter
- Invisible Empire of Ascending Light, Ken Scholes
- Michael Laurits is: Drowning, Paul Cornell
- Elevator, Nancy Kress
- The Illustrated Biography of Lord Grimm, Daryl Gregory
- Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, David Moles
- The Rabbi’s Hobby, Peter S. Beagle
- The Seventh Expression of the Robot General, Jeffrey Ford
- Skin Deep, Richard Parks
- Ex Cathedra, Tony Daniel
- Truth Window: A Tale of the Bedlam Rose, Terry Dowling
- We Haven’t Got There Yet, Harry Turtledove
- Fury, Alastair Reynolds
One woman? Seriously.
Think that argument last year was rough?
One woman? I'm not sure how that happens. You'd think accidentally Strahan would have selected a second woman. Like, by mistake and all.
That's embarrassing. I'm sure each of the stories are great and all, but I'm going to have a difficult time looking at Eclipse Two and not consider the fact that only woman was included. Conscious decision or blind selection / submission process, it's a slap in the face.