Wednesday, November 11, 2009

October 2009 Reading

Here's my monthly wrap-up of what I read the previous month. Links, as always, go to the reviews.

Books
99. Tender Morsels, by Margo Lanagan
100. Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell
101. Crossroads of Twilight, by Robert Jordan
102. Night of Knives, by Ian Cameron Esslemont
103. Outcast, by Aaron Allston
104. The Ebb Tide, by James Blaylock
105. Chasing the Dragon, by Justina Robson
106. Burn Me Deadly, by Alex Bledsoe
107. Odd and the Frost Giants, by Neil Gaiman
108. Imaro, by Charles Saunders
109. Seven for a Secret, by Elizabeth Bear
110. Ace in the Hole, by George R. R. Martin (editor)
111. Jhereg, by Steven Brust
112. Knife of Dreams, by Robert Jordan
113. The Gathering Storm, by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson


Graphic Novels
79. Fables: The Dark Ages, by Bill Willingham
80. Star Wars Legacy: The Hidden Temple, by John Ostrander
81. DMZ: Friendly Fire, by Brian Wood
82. DMZ: The Hidden War, by Brian Wood
83. DMZ: Blood in the Game, by Brian Wood
84. Jack of Fables: Americana, by Bill Willingham
85. Jack of Fables: Turning Pages, by Bill Willingham
86. Ex Machina: Fact v Fiction, by Brian Vaughan
87. Transmetropolitan: Gouge Away, by Warren Ellis
88. Uptown Girl: All the Right Friends, by Bob Lipski
89. Mouse Guard: Winter 1152, by David Petersen
90. Transmetropolitan: Spider’s Trash, by Warren Ellis
91. Y: The Last Man: Ring of Truth, by Brian K. Vaughan
92. Preacher: Ancient History, by Garth Ennis
93. Girl Genius: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones, by Phil and Kaja Foglio
94. 100 Bullets: Split Second Chance, by Brian Azzarello

Previous Reading
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September

7 comments:

Errant Knave said...

That is quite the list, especially since they're not exactly small books. But I'd like to know what you thought of Tender Morsels, if only because I was ultimately disappointed in the novel.

Joe said...

I didn't much like Tender Morsels. I wrote a little about it in my World Fantasy Award post.

Errant Knave said...

I just read your review, and I feel a little validated now. It was a struggle to read, mostly because I just could not like it. I thought it's biggest problem (among the others you pointed out) was its lack of focus. I thought some passages were well written, but potential does not make a good book.

I slogged through because I wanted to understand why it was nominated. I'm still clueless.

Joe said...

And yet, it co-won the World Fantasy Award.

This year's jurors did not share my tastes.

Marc said...

Did you like Knight of Knives? Some people think Esslemont goes out of his way to use big words, but it seemed like his natural style to me. I enjoyed it for what it was, a small slice of the Malazan pie.

Also, did you enjoy Imaro? I have an old DAW paperback of the first Imaro book that I plan to read sooner or later.

Finally, I still encourage you to check out Elfquest (available in numerous libraries) when you want some (largely) female-created graphic novel goodness :-)

Joe said...

Marc - Didn't think much of Night of Knives. I think I'm wearing out on the Malazans, but with the exception of a couple of moments, ICE's book bored me.

Imaro, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic.

Joe said...

Marc - Gotta tell you, I gave Elfquest a crack tonight and I could scarcely get through the first issue and didn't make it through the second.

It's bad, yo.

But I tried.