Friday, November 06, 2009

Forthcoming 2010: Q1

Welcome to the latest installment of "Stuff I'm Looking Forward To This Year". As always, I take my information from the Locus Forthcoming list, plus a little bit of extra research when I'm aware of things that should be on the Locus list and are not.


January
Prince of Storms, by Kay Kenyon: This is the conclusion to Kenyon's series The Entire and the Rose. It's some of the best science fiction being published today.

The Best of Joe R. Lansdale: Does the title not say everything you need to know about this? Lansdale is one hell of a writer and a Best Of will surely be one of the year's best publications.

Iorich, by Steven Brust: Last month I read Jhereg, the first Vlad Taltos novel from Steven Brust. Iorich is the twelfth novel in the Vlad Taltos series and there are six other ancillary novels set in that world. So, even though there is no chance I am going to be caught up with Brust by the time this novel is published, it is a mark of just how much I liked Jhereg that Iorich is on the list.


February
Mirror Kingdoms, by Peter S. Beagle: I have only just discovered Peter Beagle and this is a career retrospective collection from SubPress. Count this as one of the year's essential collections.

Horns, by Joe Hill: You've read Heart-Shaped Box, right? On the strength of one novel, I'm ready to go anywhere Joe Hill is willing to take me.

The Iron Khan, by Liz Williams: This is the fifth volume of the Detective Inspector Chen series. I've read the first three and have the fourth begging me to be read.


March
Bone and Jewel Creatures, by Elizabeth Bear: C'mon now, it's a new novella from Bear. Click on the link and check out the cover.

Chill, by Elizabeth Bear: Chill is the follow up to last year's novel Dust. It's one of the few Elizabeth Bear novels I haven't read, but I do have a copy, so I'll try to catch up before Chill is published.

Warriors, by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois: Military SFF, edited by GRRM, and featuring a new Dunk and Egg story? Not to mention the rest of the contents of the antho.

The Trade of Queens, by Charles Stross: This is the concluding volume to The Merchant Princes. I don't consistently love the execution of this series, but I'm generally interested enough to want to know what's next. Well, this is what's next.


I am also hard at work in compiling a list of the top books I'm anticipating for all of next year. I'll publish that list in late December or early January.

5 comments:

Greyweather said...

For my part I am most looking forward to the February release of Geosynchron by David Louis Edelman.

I also see a K.J. Parker book slated for February and a Gene Wolfe book slated for March. I'll be keeping my eyes open for both of those.

Marc said...

The Locus list has Esslemont's Return of the Crimson Guard due in January, and Erikson's Dust of Dreams due in April. I believe those two should be reversed.

Joe said...

Maybe so, though neither is something I'd put on a top 30 of things I'm looking to read.

Marc said...

I'm reading Memories of Ice right now, and I've already read Esslemont's Knight of Knives. So I have a good ways to go before RoCG or DoD, and the exact release date doesn't matter. But I'm a stickler for detail, and I'm surprised to see this from Locus.

Joe said...

Release dates change, though, and Locus doesn't update every day (or month), so I'm not too surprised.