Sunday, August 12, 2007

Unconsumed: Fire Logic


I had heard so many good things about Fire Logic by Laurie J. Marks. Lots of good recommendations and a fantasy series giving an alternate perspective. So when the folks at Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet pulled out another recommendation and a call for men to read the book, I gave it a shot.

I struggled at the start to really care and I followed the 100 page rule.

I got through the introduction, learned a bit about the world of the magic of the world, an overthrow of a government, some major characters, conflict, amnesia, magic, part of what the main plotline will be, and just a general sense of the story.

The 100 Page Rule states that if the novel does not hold my interest by Page 100 it isn't worth the time to keep reading. There are plenty of books out there and whether it is a 50 page rule (which seems short), a 100 page rule, or a 33% rule, at some point a novel is not worth continuing and forcing the finish. I'll get sloppy reading it and not pay attention to what I'm reading, start skipping pages and I might as well just shut it down. On a 300 - 500 page novel I'll do a 100 Page Rule, on a larger novel I might do a different rule, but the basic point is that Fire Logic failed the 100 Page Rule test.

Laurie Marks and her Elemental Magic series is a no go for me.

2 comments:

Gavin said...

Hey Joe,

Thanks for trying the books! I find them fascinating in terms of what Marks is taking on politically -- on a societal and individual level. C'est la vie that they aren't for you but I appreciate you giving them a shot.

Joe said...

No prob! I really hoped to like it, but it just didn't work for me at this time.

Maybe in 5 years it will. Sure wouldn't be the first time something only became accessible for me later.