Thursday, August 02, 2007

July 2007 Reading

July was a decent month with a couple of real standouts!

1. The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
2. Flaming London - Joe R. Lansdale
3. Midnight Tides - Steven Erikson
4. Wild Seed - Octavia Butler
5. 'Salem's Lot - Stephen King
6. True Names - Vernor Vinge
7. The Best American Short Stories 2006 - Ann Patchett (editor)
8. Small Gods - Terry Pratchett
9. Star by Star - Troy Denning
10. The Man of My Dreams - Curtis Sittenfeld
11. Endangered Species - Nevada Barr
12. Cell - Stephen King
13. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling
14. The Breast - Philip Roth
15. Rabid Transit: Long Voyages, Great Lies - Alan DeNiro (editor)
16. Wild Cards - George R. R. Martin (editor)
17. Starship: Pirate - Mike Resnick
18. Dispatches from the Edge - Anderson Cooper
19. Falling Man - Don DeLillo
20. Clay's Ark - Octavia Butler
21. Rage - Stephen King
22. Name All the Animals - Alison Smith
23. The Long Walk - Stephen King

Reviews forthcoming for Rage and The Long Walk.

Best Books of the Month: The Lies of Locke Lamora, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Disappointment of the Month: Midnight Tides
Pleasant Surprise of the Month: Wild Cards
Debut Novel of the Month: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Harry Potter of the Month: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Stephen King of the Month: 'Salem's Lot

5 comments:

Andy Wolverton said...

I'm envious! I wish I could finish even 20 books a month. Great list. Although not a part of the series you recently discussed, I found Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower on audio at the library yesterday. So far, excellent.

Aidan Moher said...

Call me envious, too!

I'm lucky if I finish a fraction of that amount of books in a month! How do you find so much time to read?

~Aidan
A Dribble of Ink

Joe said...

It's what I do, sir. It's what I do.

Nick said...

Too bad you didn't like Midnight Tides. I thought it was one of the better of Eriksons Malazan books. Oh well.

Red Seas Under Red Skies was very good, but felt somewhat less focused than Lies, and not as much happened in it as the previous one. Lynch fell under the Curse of the Second Novel, I suppose. Very worthwhile still, but not as good. Still, Republic of Thieves will probably kick things into high gear again. Looking forward to that one.

Best thing I've read this summer was Richard Morgan's Black Man (released as Thirteen in the States). Hardcore as hell, like a modern day Blade Runner (the film, not Dick's Sheep novel). Awesome.

Joe said...

I've heard plenty of good things about Black Man / Thirteen this year and about Richard Morgan in general. He's one of those authors I've "meant to try someday", much like Robert Sawyer and Hominids.