Saturday, January 03, 2009

December 2008 Reading

Here's the final list of what I read in 2008, the December issue.

1. The Del Rey Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy – Ellen Datlow (editor)
2. Ender in Exile – Orson Scott Card
3. The Starry Rift – Jonathan Strahan (editor)
4. Twilight – Stephanie Meyer
5. Schismatrix Plus – Bruce Sterling
6. Transmetropolitan: Back on the Streets – Warren Ellis
7. Caine Black Knife – Matthew Stover
8. Dark Wraith of Shannara – Terry Brooks
9. Lost Girls: Book 1 – Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie
10. You’re Not Fooling Anyone When You Take Your Laptop into a Coffee Shop – John Scalzi
11. The Field Guide – Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
12. Lost Girls: Book 2 – Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie
13. Lost Girls: Book 3 – Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie
14. Pandora’s Star – Peter F. Hamilton

To give an update on my Gender and Reading Habits post from last month, 6 of the 14 books I read in December were written by women, which would be 42.86%. This would be my second highest percentage of the year, but the caveat here is that four of my six were co-written by women, not solely written by women. Worse, you could make a solid case that Lost Girls should be counted as one entry, not three (despite the fact that the book I read was split into three volumes).

Being generous, I read 50 out of 157 books in 2008 which were written by women. 31.85%.

That's too low.

I have a bunch of graphic novels out from the library, though, and from what I can tell, most (if not all) of those are written by men. This will uncomfortably skew my numbers, so even on graphic novels, which I want to read more of in 2009, I'm going to have to find a balance, to get a wider ranger of perspective.

Previous 2008 Reads
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November

Total: 157 Books

No comments: