Monday, January 12, 2009

Blogger Book Club: March's Selection

Alright, I've been thinking about this for a while and since Larry and Fabio put me in charge of the next round of the Blogger Book Club, I've been trying to come up with what the next book should be.

I knew after Camp Concentration and Schismatrix Plus that I definitely wanted to go in another direction. I wanted to touch on gender, race, something more modern.

This may be the obvious choice for me, but I've been wracking my brain for another option that has a bit of distance from today and touches on what I wanted. I'm open to suggestions for when my turn on the book club comes back around. Anyway.

The selection for the March Blogger Book Club is:

Parable of the Sower, by Octavia E. Butler

We'll do this two months from today, so the Book Club will run March 9 - March 15 (counting the weekend here).

We've got gender, we've got race, we've got post apocalyptic literature. It's only fifteen years old, but I think it is a good choice.

Parable of the Sower was nominated for a Nebula in 1994 for Best Novel (the follow up, Parable of the Talents won the Nebula for Best Novel in 1999)

8 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

I'd like to get in on this one. Do I have to register anywhere?

Larry Nolen said...

Love this pick! :D

And Tia, all you have to do is read the book and blog about it around that time Joe listed, then link to/participate in the other bloggers participating in it. Simple and easy, no? :D

Kristen said...

Nice choice! I've been wanting to read something by Octavia Butler for a while and this one sounds very good.

Joe said...

Larry got it covered. :)

Mihai A. said...

I am planning an order to Amazon and I'll try to buy this book as well. Maybe I'll get the order soon enough for the Blogger Book Club :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice, Joe! I´m already in! :-)

Thea said...

Wow, how bizarre, I just bought this book on a whim!

I'd love to participate too, if that's cool?

Larry Nolen said...

Thea,

It's always cool to participate!