Monday, November 03, 2008

2008 World Fantasy Award Winners

The winners of the 2008 World Fantasy Awards have been announced. Thanks to the good people at Science Fiction Awards Watch for posting the results.

Novel: Ysabel, Guy Gavriel Kay
Novella: Illyria, Elizabeth Hand
Short Story: "Singing of Mount Abora", Theodora Goss
Anthology: Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural, Ellen Datlow, Editor
Collection: Tiny Deaths, Robert Shearman

Alright.

I do believe that Territory should have won, but despite that, Ysabel is a fine novel. Will Shetterly shared some insight on the award (namely the fact that he knew before the announcement, but also about the need for consensus).

In one of what feels like a very few times in SFF Award-dom, my taste in the Novella lined up perfectly with the judges. Illyria is the class of the field.

While I'm glad that a story in John Klima's anthology won the award, it was the wrong story. "Singing of Mount Abora" doesn't hold a candle to the Daniel Abraham story "The Cambist and Lord Iron."

I have no opinion on the Anthology category since I didn't read any of them, but this will push me to read Inferno.

I'm a little surprised by Tiny Deaths winning Collection. I liked it, but I really expected that Lucius Shepard would win and that Ellen Klages should.

And, to recap, here are my thoughts on each of the categories. Links to individual reviews are contained within each of these posts.
Novel
Novella
Short Story
Collection

No comments: