Friday, June 29, 2007

progress!

I read a good hundred pages of Midnight Tides last night while waiting for my wife at the dentist. I would love to say that I had a reading breakthrough and its going to be smooth sailing from now on, but I doubt it.

I'm just having a difficult time following this story or really grasping how it fits in at all in a larger world. I know I should recognize Trull Sengar, but I don't remember who he is / was. Up until this point, the rest of the Sengar and Letharii stuff has been tough to fight through. Maybe now that we've got the golden emperor of the Edur, things will improve.

The one aspect of the novel that is working, that is entertaining is Tehol and his game (or sorts). I like the dead girl and Bugg and Kettle, and this section is quicker paced and...well...it works.

300 pages in and nearly every page a battle for comprehension. No wonder I've read a handful of other books after starting this one. I may read a handful more before finishing.

2 comments:

Aidan Moher said...

You know, I have the same problem with the Malazan books. I enjoy myself well enough while reading them, but have a hard time comprehending how everything fits together.

Then again, I suppose this mystery and puzzlement is what a lot of people love about the novels.

I wish you better luck than I have in regards to the series clicking with you!

~Aidan
A Dribble of Ink

Joe said...

Overall I don't think I have that problem and usually it is only the first hundred pages while I get my bearings, but this one is just taking me a long time to find any sort of bearings. We'll see.