Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Iconic Covers...


Inspired by this thread on FantasyBookSpot regarding iconic covers in Fantasy. Jay wonders
what image pops up in your mind when you think of iconic cover from your experiences in Fantasy reading. What is that cover that just takes you back?
For me, it is this one. Pawn of Prophecy is that book and is that cover (actually, The Eye of the World was my first thought, but the cover of Pawn of Prophecy is really the iconic fantasy book cover of my childhood, or at least my early teenaged years).

3 comments:

Nick said...

Ooooo, that brings me back.

My mom bought the first five books in a set for me when I was eleven, cause I'd finished my first book in English and she thought I should continue reading.

Took me a couple of days to get into the first book. Thought it was slow, and the prospect of having to read five whole books was daunting. But once I got into it I read the other five over the next two months. Silk and Belgarath were the two coolest guys ever. I remember thinking there couldn't possibly be anything better.

I don't think I could bring myself to read them again now. Pretty sure they're not as good as I thought they were when I was eleven. One of the few good memories I have of that time. Let's not get into the Mallorean saga. I knew that one sucked as I was reading it.

But the cover that makes me think of fantasy would probably be this one.

http://www.wargames.co.uk/Pending/Archive/March04/elric.jpg

Joe said...

Mmm, Elric. I wasn't reading Eternal Champion when I was a younger lad, though perhaps I should have been.

I even liked good Solid Durnik and Hettar the Horse Lord. And Beldin, of course.

I don't think Eddings ever addressed this, but if he was Garath and Garion was...well, Garion, does that mean Beldin was once Din? They have to earn the Bel-

Nick said...

I thought Hettar was too much of a show-off. Don't remember Durnik, sadly. I'd forgotten about Beldin, but he was cool too.

As for Beldins name: probably. Says so in wikipedia, anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beldin

No wonder he wanted to be a sorcerer.