Thursday, April 09, 2009

stuff i've paid for


In the last couple of months I’ve actually spent a little bit of money on stuff just for me. Yes, you may consider this as part of a shift in fiscal policy (but the fundamentals of my economy are sound!)

While I generally don’t post much about what I receive until I read and post a review, I’m more than comfortable sharing what I’m buying. I figure the purchase itself is an endorsement.

So.

Pump Six and Other Stories, by Paolo Bacigalupi. Paolo was in Minneapolis a couple of months ago to visit some friends and he hooked up with Dreamhaven Books to give a reading. I went. The reading was fantastic. Mr. Bacigalupi did a great job reading and hooked me on the story. He didn’t finish the story and I wanted to know more. So I bought it on the spot. That’s how you sell


Seven for a Secret, by Elizabeth Bear. Well, y’all know how I feel about Bear. This is the follow up to New Amsterdam. I picked up the limited / numbered edition which comes with a bonus chapbook containing the story “The Tricks of London”. Gotta have more Bear. I now own just about everything she has published, except for the Jenny Casey trilogy and A Companion to Wolves.



Unwelcome Bodies, by Jennifer Pelland. After reading “Captive Girl” last year I’ve been a fan of Pelland’s work. I’ve read a handful of her stories and have been delighted / horrified each time. I meant to purchase this a year ago but I only got around to it this past week. Amazon tells me it shipped out earlier today.

No comments: