Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pulitzer Prizes Announced

Credit to Omnivoracious for the link, but here are some of the Pulitzer Prize winning works.

* Fiction: Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (Finalists: The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich and All Souls by Christine Schutt)

* History: The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed (Finalists: This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust and The Liberal Hour by G. Calvin Mackenzie and Robert Weisbrot)

* Biography/Autobiography: American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham (Finalists: Traitor to His Class by H.W. Brands and The Bin Ladens by Steve Coll)

* General Nonfiction: Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II by Douglas A. Blackmon (Finalists: Gandhi and Churchill by Arthur Herman and The Bitter Road to Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe by William I. Hitchcock)

* Poetry: The Shadow of Sirius by W.S. Merwin (Finalists: Watching the Spring Festival by Frank Bidart and What Love Comes To by Ruth Stone)

* Drama: Ruined by Lynn Nottage (Finalists: Becky Shaw by Gina Gionfriddo and In the Heights by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara Alegria Hudes)


Well, that adds another novel to my reading list. I've got this slow moving and insane quest to read all the Pulitzer Prize winning novels. I've read 33 of the now 83 winners. I'd have loved to see Louise Erdrich win the Prize. Erdrich has long been one of my favorite novelists, ever since I first read Love Medicine a decade ago in college. That opening sequence with June Morrissey walking out into the snow still moves me.

Otherwise, I love Presidential biographies, so I'll be sure to check out American Lion.

No comments: