Saturday, October 18, 2008

Forthcoming 2009: Quarter 1

Usually early in whatever quarter of the year we're in I like to take a look at the Locus list of books coming out in the next quarter. I just like to see what's coming out that I should keep an eye out for. It's about that time. So, here's what I think looks good in the first quarter of 2009. Obviously, publishing schedules can and do change.


January
The Steel Remains, Richard Morgan: I haven't read a single thing from Richard Morgan, but I have heard nothing but good stuff about his science fiction. This is one of those fantasy debuts I'm looking forward to and hopefully he'll have something strong to bring to the table.



February
Fantasy: The Best of the Year: 2009 Edition, by Rich Horton (editor): I didn't read either of Horton's volumes last year, but I want to give it a go. Plus, it's about the only place I'll find Ian MacLeod's World Fantasy Award nominated novella.

City Without End, by Kay Kenyon: I admired The Bright of the Sky. I was impressed by A World Too Near. I can't wait to see what she does with City Without End. Should be a good one, nay, a great one.

Steal Across the Sky, by Nancy Kress: It's Kress. I've enjoyed the little I've read from her recently.

The Walls of the Universe, by Paul Melko: The story this novel is based on is excellent. I wanted to know more. Now I'll have the chance. I never did read his debut novel Singularity's Ring.


Drood, by Dan Simmons: Umm...it's Dan Simmons.



March
Seven for a Secret, by Elizabeth Bear: Umm...it's Elizabeth Bear. It's also the follow up to New Amsterdam. Not as exciting as a new Promethean Age novel, but it'll do.

The Republic of Thieves, by Scott Lynch: Finally, the third volume of The Gentleman Bastards! A little late, but very welcome. This should be one of the highlights of the year.

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year: Volume Three, by Jonathan Strahan (editor): Volume Two was excellent. Haven't read Volume One yet, but between this and Eclipse One, Strahan has the markings of being one hell of an editor. Plus, as a reprint anthology, I like seeing what he thinks is worth anthologizing. Great taste with the stories in Volume Two.


Here's my Q4 list for 2008.

3 comments:

ediFanoB said...

Hi Joe,

I just want to let you know that
Steel Remains by Richard Morgan is available at amazon.de and also at amazon.uk

http://www.amazon.de/Steel-Remains-Gollancz/dp/0575077921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1224357804&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Remains-Gollancz-S-F/dp/0575077921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224358009&sr=1-1

Anyway I'm a lucky guy because I won an ARC of Steel Remains.
I started to read.After 75 pages so far I can tell you is a good read. Speach is a bit dirty. There is also sex and violence.

Joe said...

Thanks. I probably won't be reading it until my local library gets a copy.

ediFanoB said...

Joe, you have one advantage compared with me. Sooner or later your local library will ge a copy of all these enjoyable fantasy books.

I live in Germany and my local library doesn't buy books in English.

Therefore I have two possibilities:
- Wait for release of a translated version.
-Buy original books.

To be honest a lot of fantasy books will be never translated to German.

So I buy US or UK paperbacks which I can get from amazon.de at a cheap price.