Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bears! I've to read this!

I’ve been slack on reading short fiction lately (though I did finally finish that issue of Weird Tales), but I stopped by Strange Horizons and there is a new story by Leah Bobet up. I mostly liked her previous SH story.

This one, however, has a bloody brilliant hook.
Ninety-eight percent of all fictional deaths are directly attributable to being eaten by bears.

Bullshit, you say? What about those shooting and stabbings and drownings and beatings and death by Doomed Gay Manlove?

Well, it's not my problem if you can't see the bears.
I have no idea what the rest of the story is about yet, but I loooooooooove this opening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, there is indeed a bear-chomping death featured in one of the original stories in the new Weird Tales anthology, Weird Tales: The 21st Century, Vol. 1. Go figure.