Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Best Books of the Year?

Abigail Nussbaum points out that Publisher's Weekly has listed their Best Books of 2007 and observes that November 5 is a wee bit early to post a Best Of list.

I agree completely. There are two more months of reading to be done and I expect I'll read some solid 2007 publications (and then there is the Best I've Read 2007 list), but sort of like putting up Christmas lights early, shouldn't we at least wait until after Thanksgiving?

Notable from the PW List (it's a really big list broken into categories)
Falling Man - Don DeLillo (I can't agree with this choice)
Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill (I have a copy at home, will read it soon)
Acacia - David Anthony Durham (I agree wholeheartedly!)
Bright of the Sky - Kay Kenyon (disagree, but I know the book is quality)
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss (I've heard nothing but praise)
The Winds of Marble Arch - Connie Willis (her retrospective collection, can't wait to read it)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling (yep)


And then PW closes by agreeing with me about The Almost Moon:
Expectations were high for Sebold's follow-up to The Lovely Bones, but the book—about a woman who kills her aging, infirm mother—is...not good.

5 comments:

Andy Wolverton said...

I agree. They can't wait eight more weeks to put out the list?

I'm very glad to see Laura Lippman's latest on the list. Although I don't read that many mysteries, Lippman is consistently solid.

Anonymous said...

I still think Acacia was pretty mediocre, appealing only to people who really are into tales of palace intrigue.

http://reading.kingrat.biz/archives/255

Anonymous said...

Publisher's Weekly receives advance copies so reviews may appear two months before the books publication date. If a book will be available his year, they should have seen it by late October.

Joe said...

Not saying it doesn't make sense in terms of when PW receives copies, just that early November is just a bit early to post the best of the year books.

Anonymous said...

Joe, PW content is aimed at the trade. The November 5 "Best of the Year" gives the publishers & stores time to create labels, posters, flyers, press releases, ads etc. for promoting the titles from December on. Likewise when reviews are published in PW the books typically are not available at the retail level. PW serves the industry with advance information.
Mark