Thursday, July 09, 2009

First Half of 2009: The Nine Best Reads

Time for a quick review of the best books I’ve read in the first half of 2009. Now, bear in mind that only three of the nine are 2009 publications. This list isn’t about the best books published in 2009 (I do a list of that at the end of the year) but just about what the best of what I’ve read so far this year.

This list is not in ranking order, but rather the order in which I read each of the nine.

Fathom
, by Cherie Priest
A Companion to Wolves, by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear
Last Argument of Kings, by Joe Abercrombie
The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell
Hand of Isis, by Jo Graham
City Without End, by Kay Kenyon
Lamentation, by Ken Scholes
Ammonite, by Nicola Griffith
Cyteen, by C. J. Cherryh

I’ve linked up my reviews of each.

I’m rather curious which books will make my end of year list for the top nine books I’ve had the pleasure to read. I suspect Ammonite, City Without End, and The Sparrow are near locks. Hand of Isis won’t make the final list (I almost cut it from this one). The rest? It’s going to be tough paring down the top nine for the year. I recently read a novel which is sure to make my list.

Good stuff here. Gotta tell you.

No comments: