Sunday, June 14, 2009

Ark

So...I wonder.

I just finished my review of Genesis for Fantasy Magazine and what I didn't include in my review was a bit of musing about titles. This isn't the text of what I cut from the review. I never wrote it because I knew it didn't fit, but it covers what I was thinking about as I was wrapping up the review.

This book was titled Genesis. It appears to be the first volume in a series. The next volume, according to that page which lists the other novels by the author, is Exodus: The Ark. It's listed as forthcoming.

So, what I wonder is whether this is a five volume series and the next three will be titled Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. With subtitles, of course. And, if so, what does that say about the direction of the series.

If that is the direction Chafe is going (and this is all conjecture on my part), and if titles are intended to help sell the novel in some way, would those three titles sell? Numbers might. It's generic enough. But Leviticus and Deuteronomy?

Not so sure about that.

No comments: