Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Own Kind of Freedom

This is a first. As a general rule, I don’t read fanfiction. I don’t have anything against it, per se, but I’m generally just not very interested in it. I’ve never read Steven Brust before, though after Fourth Street Fantasy I very much want to.

So, what should be my entry point into the fiction of Steven Brust? Jhereg perhaps?

How about My Own Kind of Freedom? It’s Firefly fanfiction and a short, but full length novel.

My Own Kind of Freedom made me sad. Not because it is a sad story, but because it reminded me that Firefly (and Serenity) are done and they’re not coming back and Mr. Brust just gave me a beautiful last journey with Mal Reynolds, Zoe, Wash, Kaylee, River (especially River), Simon, and Jayne (Inara and Book were off the ship at this point).

The novel is set between Firefly and Serenity and is quite good.