Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Good Year for Books

April 27: The Last Colony, by John Scalzi
April 28: Marathon Woman, by Katherine Switzer
May 1: The Yiddish Policeman's Union, by Michael Chabon
May 1: Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey, by Chuck Palahniuk
May 13: You Don't Love Me Yet, by Jonathan Lethem
May 15: Falling Man, by Don DeLillo
May 22: A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini
June 1: Best American Fantasy, by Jeff and Ann Vandermeer (editors)
June 19: Lisey's Story, by Stephen King
July 21: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling
Aug 21: Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, by Brandon Sanderson
Oct 1: Run, by Ann Patchett

These are some of the 2007 releases I am actively hoping to read.

This doesn't include, of course the already released...such as: (the ones I am aware of)
Grace (Eventually), by Anne Lamott
Ally, by Karen Traviss
Bright of the Sky, by Kay Kenyon
Midnight Tides, by Steven Erikson

Not to mention new Terry Brooks, Greg Keyes, Charles Stross, Raymond Feist, and others who I am either missing or am too lazy to look up the links. Barbara Kingsolver has a new book, but it isn't a novel. Audrey Niffenegger's book seems to be taking a long time, hopefully Robert Jordan will be healthy enough to finish Wheel of Time in the next couple of years, and nobody knows when George Martin will finish a novel.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Lisey's Story out last fall? I didn't hallucinate reading that did I?

Joe said...

Oops! Must have been the paperback. I was working off a list at Locus and didn't check the edition. I just saw Stephen King on the list. I think you're right. (well, you have to be right, you read the book...).

Can I sub Lisey's Story with Duma Key?

Nick said...

I wanna read Rothfuss' Name of the Wind, which sounds sweet. Dude's a Whedon fan, and reviews have been great.

Another Whedon fan coming out with a new novel is Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies. Lies of Locke Lamora was very entertaining, one of those novels that you have trouble putting down, and you find yourself chuckling along with the characters. Very much looking forward to that one. It's got pirates in it!

Joe said...

I need to read Locke Lamora. Heard it is really great, want to read it, just haven't yet.

I've heard nothing but good about The Name of the Wind...but that cover is atrocious!

Nick said...

You mean the "gay" cover? Yeah, it is.

I like the one with the blowing bearded statue in a bush.

...

That sounds pretty gay as well.

Joe said...

That's the one. The book may deserve a Hugo and a World Fantasy Award next year for all I know, but I'd be embarrassed to be seen in public with that cover.

Nick said...

Could always drag over a cover from another book. I did that once. Was reading the Satanic Verses while living in an Iranian dudes kitchen.

And I think you'd really dig Locke Lamora. If I'd equate it to anything it would be the fantasy equivalent of a really well-made Hollywood blockbuster. Which, in my book, is not a bad thing.

Nick said...

Or maybe not blockbuster but blockbuster swashbuckler.