Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Forthcoming Books: July - August - September 2014

Coming to the end of 2014's second quarter, it is time to look ahead towards some interesting stuff being published in the next three months.  I'm using the Locus Forthcoming list because even though it may not be exhaustive, it is a fairly representative list of what is coming out over the course of a year.  My list below is based simply on that which strikes my own fancy, and I'm sure I'm overlooking all sorts of excellent stuff that if only I knew more about it or was familiar with the author's work, I would be excited for it.  But, alas, I am not.

July: New Brooks (I can't stop reading Shannara, regardless of quality, but he's leading to an actual ending), new Abercrombie, new Buckell. Good stuff. Happy to see Buckell on a roll with novels again.  The other two are new to me, and I really need to try KJ Parker beyond one of her novellas. 

Half a King, by Joe Abercrombie
The High Druid's Blade, by Terry Brooks
Hurricane Fever, by Tobias Buckell
Academic Exercises, by K. J. Parker
The Guild of Assassins, by Anna Kashina

August: The most important book coming out this month, for me, is Elizabeth Bear's One Eyed Jack.  It is not even close for anything else, and this isn't simply because I deeply admire and appreciate pretty much everything Bear has published. I expect everything else will be excellent, but One Eyed Jack is a novel I never expected to get. Previously, Bear had published four novels in her Promethean Age sequence with Roc, and unfortunately, the publisher decided against buying any more.  This made me sad, but that's life / business / publishing / etc. That was six years ago.  Prime is publishing One Eyed Jack, a new Promethean Age novel! 

The Widow's House, by Daniel Abraham
One Eyed Jack, by Elizabeth Bear
Fool's Assassin, by Robin Hobb
The Fifth Season, by N. K. Jemisin
Lock In, by John Scalzi
The Mirror Empire, by Kameron Hurley


September: By the time Acceptance is published, I will have read Authority and will be ready.  Well, not ready, because I'm not sure you can be ready for VanderMeer, but I'll be...I don't know, I'll be reading the book.  Also, Cherie Priest has a novel featuring Lizzie Borden investigating the supernatural.  Or something.  It sounds awesome. 

Yesterday's Kin, by Nancy Kress
Maplecroft, by Cherie Priest
Acceptance, by Jeff VanderMeer
The Falcon Throne, by Karen Miller
The Waterborne Blade, by Susan Murray

No comments: