Friday, May 02, 2014

Books Read: April 2014

Below is a listing of the books I read in the month of April.  All links go to my reviews.

1. The Golem and the Jinni, by Helene Wecker
2. The Complete Peanuts: 1989-1990, by Charles M. Schulz
3. The Steerswoman, by Rosemary Kirstein
4. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, by Karen Joy Fowler
5. Lexicon, by Max Barry
6. Fort Freak, by George R. R. Martin (editor)

Best Book of the Month: The Golem and the Jinni. This is just spectacularly good book and, shockingly, it is a first novel.

Disappointment of the Month: None, really.

Discovery of the Month: The Steerswoman. I can't remember in what context I saw some recommendations for this, but I'm very glad that I did.

Worth Noting: For no real reason that I can figure out, I only finished six books this month. For some, that is several months worth of reading. For me, it is a very low month, and it only hit that number because I finished both Lexicon and Fort Freak on the 30th. I expect next month to be noticeably better. I have a week long vacation and I'm bringing a small stack of at least seven books. Hey, I have a noticeable amount of time in airports and on planes. If the first flight out didn't leave at 6:30 in the morning, I would say that I'd for sure finish at least one book before I ever got to where we're going. 

Previous Months
January
February
March

No comments: