Thursday, March 20, 2014

New Space Opera from Elizabeth Bear!

Now this is exciting news!  Gollancz will publish two volumes of far future science fiction from Elizabeth Bear.  Long time readers here will know how much I'm a fan of what Bear writes, so you know I'm excited. My assumption is that this is a two volume epic, but I don't want to miscommunicate exactly what is out there.  This could be two unrelated books, but I don't think so.  Either way, this is awesome news.

From the press release:

Combining a unique concept with a compelling plot, Elizabeth Bear’s novels imagine the invention of The White Drive: an easy, nonrelativistic means of travel across unimaginable distances. The gripping story follows salvage operators, Haimey Dz and her partner Connla Kurucz, as they pilot their tiny ship into the scars left by unsuccessful White Transitions, searching for the relics of lost human – and alien – vessels.
 The first book, Ancestral Night, will be published in 2016.

Gollancz is primarily a UK publisher, but I have no doubts that these novels will make their way across the pond to the US so that I, greedy reader that I am, can read them. It's a long time to wait, but I'm sure I can find something to tide me over until then. 

No comments: