Monday, March 24, 2014

Forthcoming Books: April - May - June 2014

Coming to the end of 2014's first quarter, it is time to look ahead towards some interesting stuff being published in the next three months.  I'm using the Locus Forthcoming list because even though it may not be exhaustive, it is a fairly representative list of what is coming out over the course of a year.  My list below is based simply on that which strikes my own fancy, and I'm sure I'm overlooking all sorts of excellent stuff that if only I knew more about it or was familiar with the author's work, I would be excited for it.  But, alas, I am not.

April: I still need to read Shattered Pillars, but oh my god, Range of Ghosts!  I'm behind on my Daryl Gregory, but the man is solid.  I'm also behind on Kowal's Glamourist Histories, but Shades of Milk and Honey was excellent.
Steles of the Sky, by Elizabeth Bear
Afterparty, by Daryl Gregory
Valour and Vanity, by Mary Robinette Kowal


May: The biggest excitement for May is VanderMeer's Authority.  This has been getting a significant amount of press in the corner of the world that I see, and after reading Finch, I'm down to follow anything else VanderMeer writes.  Will McIntosh is a must read with each relatively slim novel he puts out, I'm a long ways away from reading the Elizabeth Moon, but after reading Sheepfarmer's Daughter I foresee following with the series til the end.  Recluse novels are pure comfort reading and it's been long enough since reading one that it'll feel both fresh and familiar.  Jo Walton needs no introduction.  Read her.

Defenders, by Will McIntosh
Cyador's Heirs, by L. E. Modesitt, Jr
Crown of Renewal, by Elizabeth Moon
Authority, by Jeff VanderMeer
My Real Children, by Jo Walton


June: Let's be fair, I don't know that I would describe Earth Awakens as one of my most anticipated books of the year or the month, but I've been reading the Enderverse books for so long I feel like I'd miss out on something if I did not.  They're fine, but no more than that.  No longer remarkable.  Beautiful Blood is a novel placed in the Dragon Griaule setting, Cibola Burn is a new Expanse novel, and Alastair Reynolds and Stephen King really don't need much explanation. 

Earth Awakens, by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
Cibola Burn, by James S. A. Corey
Mr. Mercedes, by Stephen King
On the Steel Breeze, by Alastair Reynolds
Beautiful Blood, by Lucius Shepard

No comments: