Saturday, May 16, 2009

stuff i've paid for, pt 2

I've been doing some shopping the last month or so. I tend to get most of my reading material from the library, but here's some collection building. The used books came from Uncle Hugo's, so even though the authors aren't getting support, the local economy is.

Lots of good stuff here. Some of the new books have been pre-ordered and have not been published yet, but here they are.

Used Books
Old Man’s War – John Scalzi
The Ghost Brigades – John Scalzi
The Last Colony – John Scalzi
A Feast for Crows – George R. R. Martin
the chains that you refuse - Elizabeth Bear
Dangerous Visions - Harlan Ellison (editor)
Beggars in Spain - Nancy Kress
Slow River - Nicola Griffith

The three Scalzi books above are all in hardcover. As is the GRRM and Dangerous Visions. I probably wouldn't have picked up Dangerous Visions if it wasn't a HC volume. If I stumble across Again, Dangerous Visions in HC, I'd pick that up, too.

What I've been looking for at Uncle Hugo's is GRRM's Wild Cards series...but since GRRM announced Tor is republishing the first three volumes, maybe I'll just hold off for those.


New Books

Starlady and Fast-Friend – George R. R. Martin
The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruis Zafon
Metatropolis – John Scalzi (editor)
Scenting the Dark and Other Stories – Mary Robinette Kowal
The God Engines – John Scalzi
Gunpowder – Joe Hill
Dagger Key and Other Stories – Lucius Shepard

2 comments:

The Mad Hatter said...

Nice list. The Scalzi's are worth having in HC. I pre-ordered The God Engines as well. Is that the Subterrean edition of The Shadow of the Wind? I picked up their edition and it is gorgeous. I'm hoping they do one for the forthcoming The Angel's Game. I keep going back and forth on Metatropolis though for some reason.

Just added you to blogroll as well.

Cheers!

http://www.booktionary.blogspot.com

Joe said...

Re: Shadow of the Wind - Sure is! They had a half price deal going one week and I couldn't resist picking it up. I do plan on reading it, but right now it looks so pretty in its plastic wrapping.

I figure the lineup for Metatropolis is so solid that it's worth picking up. I think it's still available for a free listen at Audible.com, so maybe field test it that way.

Thanks for the add.