Friday, November 17, 2006

NaNoWriMo: Writers Beware

Ann Crispin (author of three rather good Star Wars novels and other SFF) has written a blog post about the potential danger of NaNoWriMo. One would not ordinarily think that NaNoWriMo poses a threat but what Crispin is writing about is scam agents and scam publishers. Folks writing NaNoWriMo may seek to get their work published in the coming months and if they do not research who they are submitting their work to, they may end up scammed by those seeking to con the writers out of their money.

I don't think I would fall into this trap, but not because I think I am smarter than everyone else. On the off chance that I would submit a manuscript to a publisher I would do a good deal of research to make sure that my story fits that publisher and hopefully not fall into a vanity publisher. Research is our friend.

Crispin is the Chair of an organization called Writer Beware, a resource for writers to learn about what to look for so they don't get scammed.

Joe's NaNoWriMo update: I'm just under 29,000 words.

No comments: