Sunday, November 26, 2006

NaNoWriMo Update - 45k

I hit 45,000 words on my NaNo novel earlier today. I'm ahead of pace to finish my 50,000 words before the 30th, which will give me some breathing room. This has been a successful weekend on the writing front. Some ideas have been pretty good, I think, others less so but I needed to keep writing.

I don't think I'll be done at 50,000 but I will have accomplished the goal of NaNo, so I'll be proud about. Hopefully I'll finish fairly soon after and then the printed out novel will go in a shoe box for two months while I work on some short stories I have brimming in my mind and then I'll be ready to look at the novel again and see what I can edit/revise/cut/add/trim/move/etc. I know I'm dialogue heavy in places and could use more description from the first person perspective I am writing in. I've done fairly well to keep the passive voice out of the novel, but I'll be looking for that and try to get action verbs in the story to move things along. I've been concious of that, at least.

45,545 words so far.

I'm thinking that in revisions I'm going to jettison part of the diary format. I'll keep first person perspective, but the diary entries is killing me. Moreso because there is no real structure to the diary format as far as I can tell. There is no good reason why entries begin and end in certain places except that it is where I stopped for the day. It just doesn't work.

No comments: