Friday, June 10, 2005

Robin Hobb's website

From time to time I make the rounds of the author websites I have bookmarked. Some of them I don't go to very often because I know they don't get updated with any sort of frequency and also that I know what they have coming out in the near future. But I decided to check out the website of Robin Hobb, author of the Farseer Trilogy, the Liveship Traders, and the Tawny Man Trilogy. I knew that her new book, Shaman's Crossing, was coming out this summer/fall, but it's been a while since she's had a website update.

She has, and has she ever!

Her previous website was a simple text page that she designed herself with one or two links to other information. But it was pretty simple and basic, much what you'd expect when an author designs her own website. No shame in that, since her business is writing.

Well, it's undergone a complete redesign, and I think she's had some help. Now rather than just simple text it is sort of a treasure hunt to find the info you are looking at. On the front page is a floor plan with various rooms labeled and you click onto each room to see a photograph and you can then click various images in the photograph. It's pretty interesting and was entertaining. I suppose after that you'd just remember which has the info you'd like to revisit in the future. It's not too complex, but just a little different.

No comments: