Monday, March 07, 2005

Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You

I love hearing about what movies are coming out soon. It's probably why I love the previews before the movie so much. Well, except for the recurring previews for Ice Princess. So, I thought I'd flip through the IMDB and take a look at what has me wanting to go to the theatre this year. In order of proposed release date:

1. Sin City. Director Robert Rodriguez quit the Director's Guild because the Guild would not permit Frank Miller (the creator of the comic) to get a director's credit on this movie. I don't know a thing about the comic and barely anything about the movie, but the preview is incredible. It has this noir feel to it and is in black and white excpet for some splashes of color which give it this great edge. I don't know if it'll pay off in the end, but it got my attention.

2. The Interpreter. It feels like it should be good. Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn directed by Sydney Pollack. Something about Kidman overhearing a plot to kill a UN delegate or somebody of import. It is the first film, I believe, to actually have been shot inside the United Nations.

3. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Oh, how I hope they don't screw this up. I don't see how this is actually filmable, but we'll see. I want to know how Marvin the depressed robot turns out.

4. Kingdom of Heaven. If for no other reason than it is directed by Ridley Scott. Otherwise, we've got the Crusades and a potential epic. But Orlando Bloom doesn't strike me as being a man like Russell Crowe.

5. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Because I'm that kind of geek.

6. Cinderella Man. Don't care that it is directed by Ron Howard (even though he makes mostly good movies), but it stars Russell Crowe. Crowe is one our best working actors today, so if he is in the movie I'll be in a seat.

7. Batman Begins. How prosaic. Another Batman movie. Still, directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento) and it is more interesting than it was before.

8. War of the Worlds. A Film by Steven Spielberg.

9. Elizabethtown. A Film by Cameron Crowe.

10. Aeon Flux. Starring Charlize Theron, it is the first film for Karyn Kusama since "Girlfight" (which I loved). Some sort of science fiction movie, but I want to see what Kusama is up to.

11. Serenity. I've never seen Joss Whedon's short lived show Firefly, but Joss Whedon did good work with Buffy and Angel. I'll give it a shot.

That'll take me through September.

1 comment:

Jerry Steele said...

- It'll be interesting to see what they do with THGTTG

- Star Wars: I guess you've gotta see it...hopefully it won't be awful. I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets in the suit.

- Who's the new Batman?

- Aeon Flux movie? Now that's cool. Do you remember the cartoon on MTV Liquid Video?