Now that another month has come and gone, let's take a look at the books I read last month.
1. My Name is Lucy Barton, by Elizabeth Strout
2. Lightning in the Blood, by Marie Brennan
3. Sweet Lamb of Heaven, by Lydia Millet
4. The Stars Are Legion, by Kameron Hurley
5. We Love You, Charlie Freeman, by Kaitlyn Greenidge
6. River of Teeth, by Sarah Gailey
7. LaRose, by Louise Erdrich
8. Sudden Death, by Alvaro Enrique
9. Buffalo Soldier, by Maurice Broaddus
10. Homegoing, by Yaa Gyasi
11. The Complete Peanuts: Vol 26, by Charles M. Schulz
12. Mister Monkey, by Francine Prose
13. The Girl Who Drank the Moon, by Kelly Barnhill
14. The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, by Kij Johnson
Best Book of the Month: The Stars Are Legion is fucking amazing.
Disappointment of the Month: I would say that My Name is Lucy Barton was a disappointment (because it was), but I also didn't have any sort of positive expectations for a novel from Elizabeth Strout. I'd previously read her Pulitzer Prize winning novel, now this one is in the Tournament of Books. It's a miss for me.
Discovery of the Month: Damn close for me in the running of best book is Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing.
Worth Noting: For years I've referenced a book that I read as one of the crazier
titles / concepts for a novel, which would be George Bush, Dark Prince
of Love (written about the first President Bush, this is a real book).
Well, Lydia Millet wrote it and now I've read a second one of her books
Gender Breakdown: 11 of the 14 books I read in February were written by women. This brings my total for the year to 17/30, or 56.66%.