Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Forthcoming Books: April - May - June 2015

Each quarter I typically look forward at some of the interesting books coming out in the next three months.  I started to put together my typical writeup using the Locus Forthcoming list as my primary source, as I have been doing for years.  But, as I looked forward, I found myself mostly disinterested in what Locus was listing.

This caused me to pause. Was it just my mood at the time of writing?  Was it the books?  I noticed, for the first time, that the Locus list is a curated "Selected Books By Author" pulled from the magazine, so what they post online is only a fraction of what they list in the magazine. I'd consider subscribing, but the price seems a little high based on how useful / interesting I think I'd find the magazine.

So, I wonder what I'm missing.  Is this a quiet period for new books I'm interested in or is the selected list from Locus hiding some really good stuff I'd love, but I need to subscribe to find it?  Is there a better way to do these searches?  Do I need to retire these posts and figure out some other way to work through interesting books that haven't been published yet?

Regardless, with perhaps less fanfare than usual because I feel dissatisfied with the process, here's a small stack of books I'd like to read one day.
 
The Skull Throne, by Peter V Brett (April)
The Rebirths of Tao, by Wesley Chu (April)
Corsair, by James Cambais (May)
The Unlicensed Magician, by Kelly Barnhill (June)
Nemesis Game, by James S. A. Corey (June)
Finders Keepers, by Stephen King (June)

4 comments:

Nick Leshi said...

I'm looking forward to Finders Keepers. I'm always amazed at how prolific he is. Glad he didn't retire from writing.

Joe said...

King can keep going until he kicks, and maybe beyond. He's still putting out good stuff, and I'm sure Zombie King would, too.

Anonymous said...

If you're not burned out on Diana Rowland, she has a new book coming out in April, and there's another Kitty Norville book coming out August 4th.

Joe said...

I haven't read any of her Kara Gillian books, but I'll give them a shot at some point.

I'm all over the new / final Kitty Norville book. I bet she'll stick the landing and kill it.