Friday, December 26, 2008

The Missing 2008

Larry has a good post which I'd like to riff off of. He starts his series of 2008 wrap-up posts with a list of the books he was somehow unable to read during 2008 and which will not be on his best-of lists. Give the volume of books he DID read, his lists should be well rounded.

It's a good idea, to talk about the stuff that might have had a shot to make your best-of had you only been able to read it.

Here's mine.

Fathom, by Cherie Priest. I have a copy, but there is just no way I'll finish it this year. I have such faith in Cherie Priest that I believe it would otherwise make this year's list, had I only been able to read / finish it in time. Alas. Alas!

Eclipse Two, by Jonathan Strahan (editor).

The Gone-Away World, by Nick Harkaway

Toll the Hounds, by Steven Erikson: Okay, so I'm not convinced this really had a shot to make my list, but you never know.

The Last Argument of Kings, by Joe Abercrombie

Stretto, by L. Timmel Duchamp

Pretty Monsters, by Kelly Link

The Living Dead, by John Joseph Adams (editor)

Dust, by Elizabeth Bear: I can't tell if this was published in December 2007 or January 2008, but I own a copy and I haven't read it. My bad.

Pump Six and Other Stories, by Paolo Bacigalupi: I'm not sure about this one either, because I quite actively did not like "Yellow Card Man", but I thought "The House of Sand and Slag" was excellent.

Fast Forward Two, by Lou Anders (editor): The first was outstanding.

Multireal, by David Louis Edelman: Well, I haven't read Infoquake either, but I hear it is really good.

Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy, by Bill Schafer, editor: I love SubPress's online magazine, so how can this possibly not be awesome?

You May Sleep, by Nick Mamatas

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman

Tender Morsels, by Margo Lanagan

White Sands, Red Menace, by Ellen Klages

The Company, by KJ Parker


So, what did you miss this year?

3 comments:

Ann Wilkes said...

2 shelves full. I'd like to send you a review copy. I couldn't find a contact link on your blog. You can contact me from mine. Feel free to follow me back. :)

SQT said...

Too many to keep track of. I haven't gotten to "Last Argument of Kings" either and I've been meaning to get to "Acacia" forever. I have "Ysabel" and that looks interesting as well as "Red Seas Under Red Skies." Oh and "Bloodheir" has been lingering in the back of my mind too. Maybe I should post about this too.

Adele said...

I loved the Graveyard Book and bought a copy for some friends too.