Sunday, October 07, 2007

Forthcoming Reviews and Other Miscellany

Now that I'm home and had ten days of Disney sun (and rain!) and good reading, I've got some stuff I need to get off my chest. Book reviews.

We will have full reviews of:
Bright of the Sky, by Kay Kenyon
Red Seas Under Red Skies, by Scott Lynch
Ragamuffin, by Tobias Buckell
Acacia, by David Anthony Durham (only 150 pages left in the book)

Plus, sometime in the future I'll have a Quick Take of The New Space Opera, edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan.

I didn't get any magazine reading done, but really, 300 + pages of Ragamuffin, nearly 600 pages of Red Seas, 450 pages of Acacia, and something like 550 pages of The New Space Opera should be enough for one 10 day vacation, wouldn't you think?


In other news, and because I'm feeling generous...

Mary Robinette Kowal, one of my favorite short fiction writers, recently posted that her story For Solo Cello, op. 12 is newly available online at COSMOS Magazine. I'll be happily reading this one in the near future.

Fantasy Magazine, a magazine I had been considering purchasing an issue of, will be moving entirely online in November. I great this announcement with great joy. To give credit where it is due, I cribbed this from Daniel Ausema. Like Daniel I expect Fantasy Magazine to join Strange Horizons as a weekly favorite.

Subterranean's Fall 2007 issue has more free fiction than the last time I checked. Now we've got stories by Jay Lake, Chris Roberson, and David Prill joining the two by Kealan Patrick Burke and Livia Llewellyn.

My Elves Are Different has a Scalzi and OMW inspired comic that makes me chuckle.

New stories to check out
at Apex Online. I'm trying to get a feel for Apex Online. But, if you check out their archives you'll find Horizontal Rain by Mary Robinette Kowal. I know, I blogged about that story last month.


That should do for now, don't you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, good to hear you read so many works, I am looking forward to the reviews. Especially the RSURS, Buckell and Acacia ones (damn I need to read those works as well)!

Anonymous said...

I'll be interested to hear your take on "Red Seas Under Red Skies."

Joe said...

I'll have the Red Seas review up in a day or two, I believe. I had some rather good vacation reading, I must say.