Sunday, February 04, 2007

One of Ours, by Willa Cather

Cather's Pulitzer Prize winningstory of a young Nebraska farmer's journey to becoming a soldier in World War I is engrossing. Slow to start and Cather takes her time bringing us to war, whenever I started reading I was sucked in for another 60 pages or so.

Strangely, I had no real imperative to read. I had to make myself open the cover but when I did I was glad I did.

My only real complaint is that Cather drops several plot threads as the book goes along (the Ehrlichs, his wife) and once they are dropped they really don’t get referenced again, as if Claude did not think one moment about them.

Overall, though...good book. Not outstanding, but good.

Her novels My Antonia and Death Comes for the Archbishop are superior works of fiction, but One of Ours...it's good.

No comments: