Sunday, August 27, 2006

what happens to netflix dvds when you return them

Sunday, August 27, 2006
There is an article in the New Yorker regarding what happens when the movies are returned to a Netflix distribution center and what sort of work goes into getting the returns processed so quickly and the new movies shipped out. I'm impressed. I don't know why, but I thought that with the volume Netflix receives per day that there was more automation. I didn't take into account the human hands that touch the discs, file, sort, and prepare the next load of discs to come out.

When I sign up for Netflix in October after a six month (or longer) period of time without the service to save some money, I will have a greater level of respect for the work that goes into getting the rentals in my grubby little hands two days after I put the first disc back in the mailbox to return.

The starting wage of the employees is stated to be $9 per hour when hired as a temp, but it doesn't say how much the employees make when they are hired on full time after three months if they are fast enough. Hopefully they get a raise.

0 comments:

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates