Thursday, July 28, 2005

Netflix Lists

I've just started using this feature on Netflix where I can create lists of movies. I guess it can be used for anything, but I'm using it for stuff that I want to see someday but don't want to put in my queue. With a queue that can hold 500 movies why would I possibly want to not put something in it? Excellent question, I'm glad you asked. I had my queue maxed out once, that's how I know it can hold 500 moviess. When I maxed out the queue I realized two things: first, I'll never be able to make it through this list of movies and I won't feel like I'm making it through the list. Second, I can't add to the queue if it is full. So I purged and purged and purged and I'm down to a reasonable level.

So, now I still have 174 movies in the queue, but it feels like I'll be making progress moving through the DVDs this time around.

And plus the lists are a way to sort things. I have a list for documentaries (if I get the itch to see some Ken Burns flicks I'll just move them over to the queue) and for TV on DVD (a reminder to watch Farscape someday) and stuff like that.

I think it's going to be quite useful for me. It reminds me that yes, I did want to see this movie but it doesn't stick in my queue for two years.

No comments: